Round 3 of the regional & club championship at Aldo Scribante Raceway provided high drama from early in the morning when Tom Flynn rolled his immaculately prepared Datsun 120 Y during qualifying as he exited turn 7 onto the main straight. After having tumbled over about 5 or 6 times the car landed back on its wheels and due to a well-constructed roll cage Flynn walked away unscathed.
The drama then moved to regional saloons in race 1 where Deon Slabbert & Charl Visser put on a masterful driving display in their very quick class A VW Polo’s that had the very enthusiastic crowd on their feet with their close racing. Unfortunately Slabbert was tagged by a backmarker as they began to lap the field & his Polo slid off the circuit into a tyre barrier destroying the front of the car. The drama then moved to the motorcycles where after having put in a brilliant performance, winning the first two heats & well on his way to taking the third heat as well, Oliver Mckay’s glove got stuck in the throttle as he headed down the short straight into turn 7, leaving him with no option other than jumping of the bike which proceeded to destroy itself as it tumbled away.
Class E in the regional modified saloons proved to be the highlight of the day with some close racing action taking place with positions changing on a regular basis. 17 year old Kenzo Barnard put the skills that he has learned on the Karting & Dirt Oval tracks to good use with some incredibly brave moves to overtake around the outside of turns one & two in his Syrabix sponsored VW Golf Mk1. He was up against newcomer Raymond Redinger in his Pitpro VW Golf Mk1, Jason Nell in his Spannerworx VW Golf Mk1 & the Algoa Grand Prix Indoor Karting sponsored Opel Supercars of Tom Hugo & Peter Schultz.
The overall results were as follows –
- Class A – 1st Deon Slabbert
- Class C – 1st Steven Phillips
- Class D – 1st Julian Herman, 2nd Winston Marais, 3rd Stephan Aucamp
- Class E – 1st Kenzo Barnard, 2nd Jason Nell, 3rd Tom Hugo
- Class F – 1st Andrew Meyer, 2nd Andrew Boshoff, 3rd Keisha Potgieter
- Class X – 1st Charl Visser, 2nd Raymond Redinger, 3rd Shaun Heidemann
Coastal Challenge Historics & Classics
- Class A – 1st Chris Nell, 2nd Derek Boy,
- Class C – 1st Darryn Vice, 2nd Anton Ehlers, 3rd Angelique Griffin
- Class D – 1st Tom Hugo, 2nd rob Halgreen, 3rd Pat Fourie
- Class E – 1st Ron Scott
- 1st Syd Lippstreu, 2nd Ian Oberholzer, 3rd Jeandre Marais
- Open Tops
- 1st Winston Marais
- 600cc – 1st Ivor Vermaak, 2nd Oliver Mckay
- Powersport – 1st Ronnie Doyle
- Unlimited – 1st Donavan van der Merwe, 2nd Nkululeko Majola, 3rd Timothy Benn
- Historics – 1st Irfaan Johnson, 2nd Bernard Els.
CBR 150 Motorcycles
- Junior – 1st Dylan Grobler, 2nd Ruan van Zyl, 3rd Anikilitha Nombana
- Clubmans – 1st Ashton Heidemann, 2nd Emma Oberholzer, 3rd Craig Benn
45 Minute Endurance race
- 1st Julian Herman & Dean Ball, 2nd Ron Scott & Charl Visser, 3rd Kiesha Potgieter
Index of Performance – 1st Xolela Njumbuxa, 2nd Julian Herman & Dean Ball, 3rd Kiesha Potgieter
Published by: Brendan Kelly
Photography by: Darryl Kukard
MSA Publishes media releases from a host of different sources on our website as a service to the sport. It is not practically possible to vet/approve every release that is published. Some news items and articles are written by correspondents and do not necessarily represent MSA’s views.