The latest edition of Motorsport World is now on sale at Spar – Pick n Pay – garage shops and airports.

August 14, 2019  

Supplied by Motorsport SA Administrator from Motorsport SA
Perfect, crisp spring weather and plenty of on-track drama made the Women’s Day Power Series sponsored by Wingfield Motors at Killarney International Raceway on Saturday 10 August one to remember.



Charles Arton, his immaculate Datsun 240Z now running a 2.8-litre straight six, upset the established order in the first Millstock Classic and Shatterfix Fine Cars races by grabbing the lead off pole position. He held off series leader Franco Donadio’s Ford Escort Mk1 and Trevor Momberg (Ford Capri 3.4L) for a hard-fought 0.631 second win that saw all there finish within less than a second, well clear of Jonathan Gunn (Karoo to Coast Scirocco 2L) in fourth.

Jaco Lambert’s BMW was the first Fine Car home, eight seconds ahead of Arnold Lambert (Volkswagen Jetta) and Robert Toscano (Technoparts MX-5), who finished just 0.667sec apart after a superb dice.

Donadio got his revenge in Race 2, however, leading from lights to flag and coming home less than half a second ahead of a last-lap showdown between Arton and Gunn, who came up to pass the Datsun in the dying moments and take second by just 0.142sec.

Jaco Lambert brought his BMW home in an impressive seventh overall, way ahead of Jaco Lambert’s 16th overall, while Mauritzio Toscano (Volkswagen Passat) finished third in class and 19th overall.

The Burly Pro GTi Challenge, as always, delivered ultra-close racing. Nian du Toit in the Allied Fibreglass Jetta 3 2L converted pole position into a narrow Race 1 lead, while Jano van der Westhuizen (Wingfield Polo Vivo) came up from fourth to finish just 0.110sec adrift. Colin Meder (International Tube Polo 6R) came home 1.482sec further down in third, 2.395sec ahead of fourth placed Jurie Swart Jr (Alpine Polo 6 2L).

Eden Thompson (Mad Performance Jetta) was the first Class B finisher, while Giordano Lupini (Accerate Golf 1 GTi 1.8L) led the Class C charge, beating all but two of the Class B cars into the bargain.

On the third lap of Race 2, however, Lupini’s left front hub let go and he went into Fastron Corner at 180km/h with no brakes and very little steering. When the dust settled, the Golf was upside down on top of the tyre barrier and Lupini was crawling out through the boot, with nothing more than bruises to show for the biggest crash of his career.

The race was restarted without him; Du Toit passed early leader Meder on lap two, while Van der Westhuizen came up to grab second two laps from the end. The finishing order was Du Toit, Van der Westhuizen and Meder, all three within 1.429 seconds.

Thompson led class B home and Jarred Simpson (Greenz Citi Golf 1.8L) took advantage of Lupini’s absence to rack up invaluable Challenge points with a Class C win.

Marcel Angel won both V8 Masters races, but was made to work very hard for it by Sean Moore and Fabio Tafani in Race 1 and by Tafani and Rui Campos in Race 2 – in both races the winning margin was less than half a second.

Glen Phillips and Nian du Toit (the same!) finished just 0.126sec apart at the top of the Supercar category in Race 1, but the GTi Challenge hero was unable to make the magic happen again in Race 2, finishing a lap down, while Ryan McCarthy led Phillips home.

Craig Jarvis and the thundering Maui Motorhomes Ginetta G57 were literally and figuratively in a class of their own in the Pirelli Sports and GT races, qualifying 1.413 seconds quicker than even Dawie Joubert’s giant-killing Lotus Exige and more than four seconds ahead of Sandro Biccari’s Juno SS3.

But Joubert missed the start of Race 1 and had to start from pit lane, stone last; within a lap he was up to 10th, by lap three he was third – only for the Exige to fall victim to a mechanical gremlin a lap later, while Martin Pugh practically destroyed the Appleberry CanAm in a high-speed crash.

That left Biccari to trail home 45 seconds behind Jarvis, with Andre Brink (SSB CanAm) a further 25 seconds down in third.

Race 2 saw Jarvis sweep home 32 seconds ahead of Biccari, with Maarten Prins (Porsche GT3 Cup) and Brink just a few car lengths further back after chasing Biccari all the way to the line.

A superb comeback ride added new spice to the RST Suzuki South Superbike races as Brandon Haupt, back in anger for the first time since his huge crash in November 2018, qualified his Fueled Racing R1 on pole, ahead of unbeaten-as-yet series leader Hayden Jonas (WP Motors R1) and PLM Motorsport’s Ronald Slamet, also on an R1.

Haupt pulled a perfect start to lead the first few laps, but by the end of lap three normal service had been resumed as Jonas took the lead and moved away to win by almost three seconds, for his 11th victory from 11 starts this season.

Third was Slamet, five seconds further adrift, just ahead of an epic battle between Trevor Westman’s Mad Macs ZX-10R and the Hillbilly R6 of reigning SA SuperJunior champion Kewyn Snyman. Snyman harried the bigger machine all the way to the line, finishing less than two seconds adrift after breaking his own 600cc lap record with a time of 1min12.336sec on lap four.

But the dice of the race was for second in the SuperMasters Class behind Malcolm Rapson (Suzuki GSX-R1000 L7) and eighth overall, where Klint Munton (Speed Angle ZX-10R), Rob Cragg (Mad Macs ZX-10R), Brandon Staffen (AJH Cooling/Keating & Jansen R6), Quintin Ebden (Milu R1) and Donovan Le Cok (RPM ZX-10R) all finished within three seconds.

Snyman surprised everybody at the start of Race 2, going round the outside in Turn 1 to lead the first lap until they got onto the back straight, at which point Jonas and Westman powered past. Haupt pushed the smaller machine down to fourth on lap three. He then blitzed past Westman on the same lap to grab second, and moved up to within two seconds of the leader, but Jonas was simply not going to get caught, maintaining his unbeaten record with 12 wins from 12 starts.

Snyman’s bike picked up a misfire in the closing stages and actually stopped at one point; he got it going again but was unable to catch Jaryd Schultz (ASAP World R6), losing out on the Class win by a heartbreaking 0.049sec. Next was Rapson, sixth overall and leading the SuperMasters charge again.

Lubalalo Ntisana and Wayne Arendse, each on a Kawasaki ZX-10R, shared the RST Trac Mac Clubmans race wins. Hotshot rookie Ntisana showed unexpected maturity and racecraft in Race 1, allowing the vastly more experienced Arendse to make all the running before passing him two laps from the end to take the win by just 1.272sec.

Motocross graduate Jonathan Schwerin (Suzuki GSX-R1000 K6) was third, well clear of Norman McFadden (Kawasaki ZX-10R), who narrowly beat Shaun Mackrill (GFP Lighting R1) into fourth – the gap was just 0.133sec at the line.

Ntisana made his move much earlier in Race 2, moving to the front on lap 3 – but this time the veteran was ready for him. Arendse struck back a lap later and from then on it was Game On as Ntisana chased him all the way to the line, never more than half a second adrift and often a lot closer. But Arendse held on for a hard-fought win, with Mackrill third, ahead of Schwerin and McFadden.

Slade van Niekerk (Yamaha R3) won both races going away, but the star of the RST Trac Mac Powersport show was Zanté Otto. The talented teen was back on two wheels for the first time in 14 weeks, since a huge high-speed crash in April in which she shattered her collarbone.

Riding Kewyn Snyman’s championship-winning Hillbilly Racing RC390, which was set up for a rider close to twice her size, she got a what she later said was a poor start in Race 1, slotting into second behind pole position-holder Van Niekerk.

Jason Linaker (Samurai Ninja 300) moved up to challenge Otto on lap three, and the two put up a splendid dice for second that ended with Linaker in front when it counted by just 0.098sec, and Tony Sterianos (RST RC390) a distant third.

Linaker chased the young lady for all he was worth in Race 2 but was unable to get within striking distance, finishing a frustrating 0.299sec behind Otto, with Sterianos once again a lonely fourth.

Pole position holder Dee-Jay Booysen (Bidvest RM 08) found himself stone last at the end of lap one in the first Formula Libre race – so he put his head down and got on with it.

He moved up to second on lap 6 and took the lead from Byron Mitchell’s Dolphin Forza 1.4 a lap later, romping away to win by eight seconds. Third s was main circuit rookie Ryno Pentz in the Dico Formula M, just ahead of Cyril Somerville in the Dolphin Sting 1.4.

Neither Booysen nor Pentz came out for Race 2, which became a Byron Mitchell benefit; 16 seconds behind him, however, Ashfaak Dawood (ERA Rhema 1) and Somerville finished a scant 0.606sec apart in second and third respectively, while Benjack Phillips (Classic Car Care Omega 1.4), Hadyn Ellwood (Yellow Capital Lantis) and Craig Hume (Speedstitch 1.6) were next, all three covered by just 0.747sec at the line.


Published by:  Western province Motor Club - Killarney Raceway

Photography by:  Colin Brown

MSA Publishes media releases from a host of different sources on our website as a service to the sport.  It is not practically possible to vet/approve every release that is published.  Some news items and articles are written by correspondents and do not necessarily represent MSA’s views.


T: 011 675 2220

2nd Floor, Meersig 1
C/O Upper Lake Lane & Constantia Blvd
Constantia Kloof, Roodepoort

Monday – Thursday from 08:00 to 16:00
Friday from 08:00 to 15:00

Copyright . Motorsport. All rights reserved