The motorsport family pulled out all the stops to end a fantastic year of competition on the highest note possible, not only awarding 57 champions across 12 disciplines their spectacular trophies, but equally importantly, acknowledging the contribution of the unsung men and women behind the scenes who ensure the sport is run in a professional and sustainable manner.
Motorsport South Africa’s annual gala evening was hosted by TV personality Marius Roberts on Sunday the 9th of December 2018, while a highlight of the evening saw 15 competitors receive their national colours, the coveted blazers handed to the recipients by the Guest of Honour, 2016 Moto3 World Champion Brad Binder.
The MC Marius Roberts and Brad Binder
THE 2018 MSA PROTEA COLOUR RECIPIENTS
Junior Colours - From the left back row: Brad Binder, Taric van der Merwe, Justin Sangster, Breece Romans, Kwanda Mokoena, Tate Bishop Front row: Jack Pullen, Lucca Mynhardt, Andrea Mynhardt and Louis Mostert
Senior Colours - From the left: Brad Binder, Michael White, Yanke Pieterse, Samuel Lochoff, Matthew Green, Kyle Flanagan and Tyson Engelbrecht
MSA’s highest accolade, the Golden Helmet Lifetime Achievement Award was bestowed on David Prescott Tunmer, for his unselfish, 50-year stint as a marshal across most of the circuits in South Africa at every level of the sport including a host of International events.
MSA CEO Adrian Scholtz and The Golden Helmet Award recipient Dave Tunmer
In line with MSA’s environmental code of conduct, the Environmental Award went to Ian Shrosbree on behalf of the Simola Hillclimb; the organisation raised funds to re-green areas of Knysna that were ravaged by fire in 2017, contributing to the planting of 26 000 indigenous trees.
MSA Environmental Panel President Marius Matthee and Ian Shrosbree from the Jaguar Simola Hillclimb
The MSA Official of the Year Award was presented to Lloyd Brown who, through his chairmanship of the Rover Club in the Eastern Cape, has been responsible for substantial growth in the popularity of motorcycle racing in the region, including raising significant prize monies.
MSA CEO Adrian Scholtz and the Official of the year recipient Lloyd Brown
Capetonian David Marchio received the Steve Wicks Photographer of the Year Award after the motorsport community voted his image as the most impressive of the season.
MSA Steve Wicks Photographer of the year recipient, David Marchio and MSA Media Committee Member Dave Ledbitter
9 special awards were announced for meritorious achievements during the past year:
From the left: Louwrens Mahoney, David Mc Lellan on behalf of Camden Mc Lellan, Aldo Scribante and Jan Thorsen
From the left: Richard van der Westhuizen, Neil Woolridge and Wade Young
Wade Young received his award for his feats in the World Enduro Super Series while Camden Mc Lellan earned his award for becoming the first South African to win a FIM Junior MX championship.
Other recipients included the Scribante family, whose association with motorsport dates back to Dave Charlton’s Formula One career, and with continued support, re-surfaced the Aldo Scribante racetrack in Port Elizabeth this year with International grade tarmac.
Louwrens Mahoney is a multiple SA Off-Road Motorcycle Champion who, during a short period of retirement, became involved in race organizing, creating the GXCC series which has significantly raised the profile and popularity of motorcycle and quad off-road racing.
Richard van der Westhuizen, a talented, 12-time National Motocross champion, has migrated from competition to helping to ensure that Motocross tracks are as safe as possible for the current crop of riders.
Neil Woolridge received his award having competed in various forms of off-road racing on two and four wheels – including the famous Baja 1000 - before turning his attention to running his eponymous team of Ford Rangers in the Cross Country Championship with great success, while assisting in the management of the SACCS series.
Jan Thorsen received a special award for his outstanding contribution to non-circuit motorcycle racing, a role that embraces both grass-roots club level and national championship categories.
Albie Fourie, a life member of the Western Province Motor Club, was recognized for his 50 years of marshalling at events ranging from oval racing to national championship events.
Motorsport enthusiasts will recognize the name of Tony Martin who was one-third of the Daytona 24-hour winning crew in 1984, along with Sarel van der Merwe and Graham Duxbury. He won the 1980 SA Driver’s Championship racing in Formula Atlantic amongst many other successes and was awarded his Special Award accordingly.
From cars to karts, single seaters to saloons and dragsters to drifting, on road or off-road using two wheels or four, the motorsport elite, ranging in age from 9 to 60 years old, were recognised for their performances in the 12 different disciplines of competition governed by MSA.
With ever increasing levels of talent and competition emerging, motorsport is heading for a classic season in 2019
THE 2018 MSA SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
• 2018 SA NATIONAL RALLY CHAMPION: DRIVER - GUY BOTTERILL
• 2018 SA NATIONAL RALLY CHAMPION: CO-DRIVER - SIMON VACY-LYLE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL DRAG RACING CHAMPION: SUPERBIKE ELIMINATION - PETER DE LA REY
• 2018 SA NATIONAL DRAG RACING CHAMPION: SUPERSPORT SHOOTOUT BIKES - REECE ROBERTSON
• 2018 SA NATIONAL SUPADRIFT SERIES CHAMPION - JASON WEBB
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MINI ROK CHAMPION - JARROD WABERSKI
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ROTAX MICRO MAX KARTING CHAMPION - MUHAMMAD WALLY
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ROTAX MINI MAX KARTING CHAMPION - KYLE VISSER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ROTAX JUNIOR MAX KARTING CHAMPION - CHARL VISSER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ROTAX SENIOR MAX CHALLENGE KARTING CHAMPION - DOMINIC LINCOLN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX50CC CHAMPION - ANDRÉA MYNHARDT
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX65CC CHAMPION - LUCCA MYNHARDT
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX85CC CHAMPION - TROY MURAOUR
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX PRO MINI CHAMPION -JONATHAN MLIMI
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPION - JUSTIN SANGSTER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX LADIES CHAMPION - KAYLA RAAFF
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX3 CHAMPION - IAN TOPLISS
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX2 CHAMPION - CALEB TENNANT
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MX1 CHAMPION - CALEB TENNANT
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTOCROSS MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - HUSQVARNA
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURO HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPION - KYLE PURCHASE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURO 200 (E1) CHAMPION - KYLE FLANAGAN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURO OPEN (E2) CHAMPION - BLAKE GUTZEIT
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURO MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - YAMAHA
CROSS COUNTRY MOTORCYCLES:
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPION - NARDUS RABE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE MASTER CHAMPION - JACOB PIETER HÖLL
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE SENIOR CHAMPION - JUAN VAN ROOYEN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE OR3 CHAMPION - JARRYD COETZEE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE OR2 CHAMPION - GARETH COLE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE OR1 CHAMPION - ROSS BRANCH
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CROSS COUNTRY MCYCLE MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - KTM
CROSS COUNTRY CARS:
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR SPECIAL VEHICLE CHAMPION: DRIVER - COETZEE LABUSCAGNE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC SPECIAL VEHICLE CHAMPION: NAVIGATOR - SANDRA LABUSCAGNE-JONCK
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS A CHAMPION: DRIVER - COETZEE LABUSCAGNE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS A CHAMPION: NAVIGATOR - SANDRA LABUSCAGNE-JONCK
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR PRODUCTION VEHICLE CHAMPION: DRIVER - GINIEL DE VILLIERS
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR PRODUCTION VEHICLE CHAMPION: NAVIGATOR - DENNIS MURPHY
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS T CHAMPION: DRIVER - LANCE WOOLRIDGE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS T CHAMPION: NAVIGATOR - WARD HUXTABLE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS FIA CHAMPION: DRIVER - HENK LATEGAN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR CLASS FIA CHAMPION: NAVIGATOR - BARRY WHITE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL CC CAR MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - TOYOTA
• 2018 SA NATIONAL FORMULA 1600 CHAMPION - STUART WHITE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL FORMULA VEE CHAMPION - JACO SCHRIKS
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURANCE CHAMPION - NICK ADCOCK
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURANCE CHAMPION - MICHAEL JENSEN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURANCE INDEX OF PERFORMANCE CHAMPION - BRADLEY SCORER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL ENDURANCE INDEX OF PERFORMANCE CHAMPION - THEO VAN VUUREN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN POLO CUP CHAMPION - JEFFREY KRUGER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL GTC 2 CHAMPION - KEAGAN MASTERS
• 2018 SA NATIONAL GTC 2 MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - VOLKSWAGEN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL GTC CHAMPION - MICHAEL STEPHEN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL GTC MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - AUDI
• 2018 SA NATIONAL SUPER JUNIOR CHAMPION - KEWYN SNYMAN
• 2018 SA NATIONAL SUPER 600 CHAMPION - BLAZE BAKER
• 2018 SA NATIONAL SUPER GP CHAMPION - MICHAEL WHITE
• 2018 SA NATIONAL MOTORCYCLE CIRCUIT RACING MANUFACTURER CHAMPION - YAMAHA